The HCCL offers a thorough grounding in the essentials of theological and ministerial training. The programme is suitable for pastors needing foundational theological studies and for elders, deacons, and other men and women serving actively in their churches. The three stand-out characteristics of the programme are that it is biblical (you will grow in Bible knowledge), practical (you will grow in ministry skills), and spiritual (you will grow in your walk with Christ).
If you buy two or more courses at any one time on the same invoice, you will receive a 10% for each course
There are two other reasons why you might register for the HCCL.
- If you wish to enrol for the BTh but you do not meet the admission requirements, you can do the HCCL. When you graduate, you can continue with the BTh
- If you have a non-theological degree and you wish to enrol for the BTh Honours, you can do the HCCL as a bridge into the Honours.
Do I Qualify?
To register for the HCCL, you need to have a school-leaving certificate. In South Africa, this is a National Senior Certificate (NSC). If you have an accredited tertiary qualification, we accept that in lieu of a school-leaving certificate.
If you do not have a school-leaving certificate, you may be admitted to the HCCL on the basis of RPL. You will be asked to complete the first five courses on probation as stand-alone subjects. If you pass them, demonstrating that the ability to study at this level, you may enrol for the HCCL.
If you complete the HCCL and wish to enrol for the BTh, 60 credits from the HCCL may be transferred to the BTh.
To register for any Certificate programme, prospective students require one of the following:
- National Senior Certificate as certified by Umalusi. Applicants with different qualifications may only be admitted if they are judged equivalent by the designated equivalence-setting bodies.
NB. Students who do not have a National Senior Certificate may still apply, provided that they have appropriate academic and ministerial experience. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- A tertiary qualification at an accredited institution registered by the Department of Education.
- A tertiary qualification at a foreign institution accredited by a recognised accrediting body or by the institution’s national government.
Certified/notarized proof of one of the above requirements should accompany the application form, together with a certified/notarized copy of the student’s identification Document or valid Passport. All those who meet these criteria and whose English is of a sufficient standard, are accepted into the programme.
* NB! Please note during the national lockdown, we will not require certified/notarized copies of the above documents for you to register.
The Higher Certificate in Christian Life counts for a full 60 credits towards a BTh degree.
NB. You are required to complete this qualification within a period of 3 years.
What Are The Courses?
Please select from these electives:
Bachelor of Theology and HCCL Timetable
How Long Does It Take?
The minimum duration is one year, but the average completion time for part-time students is two years. You have a maximum of three years to finish.
Please note: You are required to complete 48 credits every twelve months, commencing with the date of enrolment.