SATS offers a range of ministry-oriented theological programmes designed to equip thinking practitioners for faithful and effective service. We teach all our programmes 100 per cent online. You need a computer and a good Internet connection, but you never need to travel to SATS. Although our heart is for ministry, our passion for excellence in life and service undergirds a commitment to high academic standards in honour of the gospel.
We offer seven programmes, suitable for different needs.
- Higher Certificate in Christian Life (120 credits, NQF 5). The HCCL is similar to the first year of the BTh. It is ideal for those seeking solid foundations for life and ministry. It doubles as a gateway into tertiary education for students who do not meet the entry requirements for the BTh.
- Higher Certificate in Christian Counselling (120 credits, NQF 5). The HCCL is a comprehensive programme for lay and pastoral counsellors.
- Bachelor of Theology (360 credits, NQF 7). The BTh is a three-year degree in theology. We presently offer a general BTh, which is ideal for pastors, missionaries, and Bible teachers, and a specialisation in Christian counselling.
- Bachelor of Theology Honours (360 credits, NQF 8). The BTh Hons is a first postgraduate degree. It builds on a BTh and prepares students for theological research in the MTh.
- Master of Divinity (240 credits, NQF 9). The MDiv is designed to meet the need of pastors for advanced practial training. The programme is ideal for second-career pastors, since access does not require that your previous qualifications be in theology.
- Master of Theology (180 credits, NQF 9). The MTh is a research degree in which you specialise in a particular field of theological studies. It is ideal for those aspiring to teach theology and is the pathway towards the PhD in theology.
- Doctor of Philosophy (360 credits, NQF 10). The PhD is a terminal research degree. Our PhD is dissertation-based,
For more information about the programmes, you can click on the Programmes menu at the top or visit the pages below about Postgraduate (Honours, Master’s and Doctoral levels) or Undergraduate (Bachelor’s and Certificate levels).
SATS offers biblically based, academically rigorous, and practically relevant programmes. Like Hugh of St. Vincent, we believe education is the pursuit of wisdom and virtue, both of which are ultimately found in Christ through friendship with God. We design our programmes and our courses with the dual ambition of being both informative and transformative.
The Undergraduate School is committed to providing the best opportunities and support for all theological programmes offered to undergraduate students. A competent team of full-time administrative and academic staff and associates, each specialising in a particular field of theology, serves an ever-growing number of undergraduate students from all over the world.