Correctly understanding the Bible’s teaching about the person and work of the Holy Spirit is an integral part of Christian formation. The entire Christian walk is dependent upon the presence and power of God’s Spirit with, in, and upon us. A proper understanding of the Holy Spirit is crucial for a healthy relationship with God and an active ministry in the Church and the world.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Present the biblical evidence for understanding the Spirit as a distinct, divine Person and interpret the entirety of the Spirit’s work in the light of the truth that he is a Person.
- Identify, interpret, and apply essential Scripture passages that speak about the Holy Spirit.
- Explain how the Old Testament presents the Holy Spirit as the Spirit of prophecy.
- Synthesize what is revealed about the Holy Spirit through the life and teaching of Jesus Christ.
- Assess the extent to which disciples of Christ should be able to do the same works that Jesus did.
- Compare and contrast Pentecostal and non-Pentecostal interpretations of key Holy Spirit passages in Acts.
- Argue that Paul presents the Christian life as Christ-centred life in the Spirit.
- Critically evaluate the debate regarding the continuance of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.