This course introduces you to the book of Deuteronomy by exploring models for the interpretation and reading the book as narrative. The history and present applications of Deuteronomy will offer a firm grounding in Biblical ethics as well. You will also acquire exegetical skills to exegete and study selected passages of the book.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity and competence with the appropriate academic disciplines, including exegesis and academic debate.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the contents of the book of Deuteronomy, using the English text and literary models like Narrative Theology.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the social, historical, legal and theological context of the book of Deuteronomy.
- Demonstrate competence in the field of Biblical ethics, its history, and present applications, with application to the book of Deuteronomy.
- Demonstrate competence in the exegesis of selected chapters of the book of Deuteronomy in line with key academic commentaries on the book.
- Unit 1: Introduction to the Study of Deuteronomy.
- Unit 2: Models for the Interpretation of Deuteronomy
- Unit 3: Reading Deuteronomy as Narrative: Characters, Plot, and Narrator.
- Unit 4: Biblical Ethics in Deuteronomy, Including Care for the Marginalised
- Unit 5: The Theology and Exegesis of Deuteronomy
- Required Reading
Adeyemo T (Gen. ed.) 2006. Africa Bible Commentary: A One-Volume Commentary Written by 70 African Scholars. Nairobi: WordAlive Publishers.
Baker DL 2009. Tight Fists or Open Hands? Wealth and Poverty in Old Testament Law. Grand Rapids: Wm B Eerdmans.
Block DI 2012. Deuteronomy (NIV Application Commentary). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
Hawk LD 2003. Literary/Narrative Criticism. In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch, by T D Alexander and D W Baker, 536-544. Leicester: InterVarsity Press.
Hoppe LJ 2004. There Shall Be No Poor Among You: Poverty in the Hebrew Bible. Nashville: Abingdon.
Kitchen KA 2003. On the Reliability of the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans. Kunhiyop SW 2008. African Christian Ethics. Grand Rapids: Hippo Books (Zondervan).
McConville JG 1993. Grace in the End (Studies in Old Testament Biblical Theology). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
________ 2003. Book of Deuteronomy. In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch, edited by T D Alexander and D W Baker, 182-193. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press.
Merrill EH 1994. Deuteronomy (NIV New American Commentary Vol 4). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
Nkansah-Obrempong J 2013. Foundations for African Theological Ethics: A Contemporary Rural African Perspective. Cumbria: Langham Monographs.
Okeja UB.2012. Normative Justification of a Global Ethic: A Perspective from African Philosophy. Minneapolis: Lexington Books
Owens JE 2011. Deuteronomy (New Collegeville Bible Commentary Vol 4). Collegeville: Liturgical Press.
Wright CJH 1990. God’s People in God’s Land. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
________ 2013. Old Testament Ethics for the People of God. Leicester: InterVarsity Press.