The Introduction to Wellness Counselling focuses on a wellness approach to Christian caregiving and counselling for lay counsellors.
The course will explore various aspects of spirituality, as it impacts our health at the level of body, mind, and spirit. An integrative bio-psycho-social-spiritual concept of wellbeing is explored.
This course endeavours to equip lay counsellors to come alongside healthy individuals with a prevention and optimally functioning approach – helping individuals grow to peak personal and spiritual wellbeing.
On completion of this module, you should be able to:
- Define mental (and spiritual) health from a wellness and prevention perspective
- Practice a psycho-educational-ministry in and for the church. Special topics include stress management, conflict resolution, life change and transitions, and support networks.
- Differentiate between intra- and inter-personal behaviour, communication, and growth
- Describe from a wholistic perspective, what an optimally functioning person is, giving attention to the spiritual,
physical, emotional, and mental dimensions of health and wellbeing
- Demonstrate understanding of intra- and inter-personal relationships and problems from a Biblical perspective
- Distinguish between and understand the concepts of inferiority, low self-worth, narcissistic self-love, pride, humility, and a healthy self-worth
- Coming alongside people with inferiority and feelings of low self-worth and helping them restore their sense of
identity and worth in Christ Jesus.